Easter Health Message

Google Maps location for Hoppers Crossing Veterinary Clinic & Hospital

Hoppers Crossing Veterinary Clinic & Hospital
5 Barber Drive
Hoppers Crossing
Victoria 3029

Phone:
03 9748 6644

Easter is a great time of year where we gather together to enjoy great food including of course, chocolate! Although we would like our pets to join in on the festivities there are some foods and plants that are best kept away from our furry friends.

 

Chocolate

NO chocolate for your dogsChocolate contains theobromine which is toxic to animals. In small doses it can cause vomiting and diarrhoea and in larger doses can cause tremors, seizures and even death. Dark chocolate is more toxic than milk or white chocolate. If your dog manages to get into and eat chocolate this Easter give our clinic a call and let us know what type of chocolate and how much your dog has consumed so that we can recommend whether this is considered a toxic dose or not.

 

BBQ Leftovers

BBQ’s are great to have during Easter and many of us have fallen into the habit of feeding our dogs BBQ leftovers. Cooked bones should never be given to dogs as they can splinter and cause bowel perforation or constipation. Leftover sausages and off cuts can cause gastrointestinal upsets and pancreatitis.

 

Hot Cross Buns

The raisins found in hot cross buns can lead to kidney failure. The method of intoxication is unknown. Clinical signs involve vomiting within 24hrs of ingestion, off food, diarrhoea, lethargy and abdominal pain. Some dogs are can show these signs after only eating a few grapes or raisins while other dogs require a larger dose. Please ensure your dogs do not have access to any hot cross buns this Easter.

 

Easter Lilies

Easter Lilies are very toxic to catsAlthough Easter Lilies are beautiful to look at they are very toxic to cats. In fact all of the Lilium species are toxic to cats and all parts of the lily plant may be toxic if ingested. They cause kidney damage through an unknown mechanism. Clinical signs including vomiting, lethargy and anorexia can develop 12hrs after ingestion. Other members of the lily family- garlic and onion can cause anaemia in dogs.

 


Post your comment

Comments

No one has commented on this page yet.

RSS feed for comments on this page | RSS feed for all comments

Recent Blogs

Is Your Cat Feeling Thirsty

>> Read more

Star Article March 2017 - Dealing with Diabetes in Pets

>> Read more

Bestfriends article January 2017 Fears and Phobias in our Pets

>> Read more